About the News category

The Latest Killer Chess Training News

• This part of the forum is open to everyone, member or not
  • Here you can find information about our classes and everything new that we are planning
  • Check back here daily for the latest news and how we can help you achieve your goals
  • If you want some free material to get to know our work, click here
  • If you are interested in becoming a member or buying some of our older courses, head to the shop
  • Don’t forget to sign up for our newsletter!

Hi all. I just thought I would share a story called A Painting for the Emperor from a book I gave my wife for Christmas – Urban Watercolour Sketching by Felix Scheinberger. I hope you like it.

This story was passed down from ancient China. An emissary of the emperor visited a famous painter one day.

The emperor desired a painting, the emissary told him, asking him whether he could paint a rooster for his majesty. The painter replied that he could do so, but it might take him a while, for a good picture needed time.

Now, the emissary knew that the emperor was not blessed with much patience, so he granted the painter two weeks to paint the rooster.

When the two weeks had passed, he appeared again.

“Where is the rooster?” he asked the painter, who replied that he was working on it, but the picture was not yet finished. The emissary cursed, but granted the painter another week, since he was aware that the painter was a great master of his craft. For his part, the painter vowed to finish the rooster in time. However, when the week was over and the emissary appeared again, the picture was still not completed. The emissary ranted and shouted, but nothing helped. The painter demanded yet another week to work on the rooster.

Now, the emperor was not accustomed to waiting, and when the week had ended, he arrived in person, accompanied by his royal household, to visit the painter.

He enquired whether the rooster was now finished.

The painter lifted his head and responded. Yes indeed, the rooster was now finished. And before the eyes of the perplexed emperor, he took an empty sheet of paper, picked up a brush and painted a rooster for the emperor.

The emperor was speechless. He barked at the painter: Why did he allow his emperor to wait so long for something that he could paint here and now, at the drop of a hat? The painter remained very calm. He crossed his studio and opened a door to a rear room. And, as all present looked in the room, they could see a space as large as the painter’s studio that was full to the ceiling with weeks’ worth of sketches, attempts and drafts for the emperor’s swiftly painted rooster.

Train every day and hopefully you too will produce a masterpiece in 2024!

Happy New Year all,

Jeremy

2 Likes

I feel inspired! Thank you, Jeremy!