ChessBase / Chess Tech "Office Hours"

I’ve been asked if I would do a session on ChessBase and / or “chess tech,” and I thought one way to go would be to offer “Office Hours.”

What questions do you have about ChessBase, Fritz, Stockfish, Leela, or any other chess tech for that matter, that I could answer in a class setting?

Post those questions here and we’ll find a date for me to do a class where I plow through that list!

1 Like

hello!
I would like to know how to search for structures or maneuvers. thank you

2 Likes

Im a lower rated player here, 1480 USCF. While working on building an opening repertoire, I currently use non-Chessbase sources (online videos, books, etc). How can I make use of Chessbase to help me build, learn and practice my repertoire? Specifically, I would like to use Chessbase to force an engine to play my openings for practice, and also build a database of games (from megabase, etc) of games that have been played using these openings

4 Likes

Hi John, I think I ran into you in Hamilton 30 years ago, but I might be mistaken :joy:
I picked up chess after a 30 year break (that sounds depressing), and being on the retirement side of income and post-mortgage I was able to join KCT and finally buy Chessbase.
I watched your older series on Chessbase, but still have some questions. I think enough things changed with Chessbase 17 that it is indeed worth an update :grinning: Plus, trying to find good help on chessbase online is painful. I know you covered some of this, but a review would be good.
So questions - I am still struggling with engines in several respects:

1. Which engine(s) to use? Free, buy, online? Maybe a quick overview of the big ones?
  2. Technical settings, it defaults to a lot of cores and bogs my machine to a crawl - is this normal? (I don’t have a dedicated CB machine, but I do have a pretty fast laptop.). So, basically covering engine settings again. One of the KCT instructors said at a sub-2000 level only a few cites and less depth is needed, but J didn’t want to ask him more and interrupt the lesson topic.
  3. Annotations and analysis - probably a simple question, but how do you keep your own analysis/comments AND engine analysis of the game? Perhaps more detail on your own analysis process?
  4. There is an engine by default in the window that tantalizes me with good english comments, but they don’t persist - is there a way to see these?
  5. Not an engine question, but maybe more on free sources of games? I tried the correspondence path you suggested, but they rejected me as I have to join the Canadian one first at cost, and so on. Is it worth pursuing this?

I am sure some of these are simple answers, and I have more. But hopefully this is useful to you.

1. Adding one thing to my long list - a review of how you build a repertoire would be good, I got most of it from your other lecture, but it isn’t solid in my mind. And maybe more about how you actually use it?

Perhaps two types of sessions are in order.

The first would be about building a repertoire; this would be two parts, showing the work done in Lichess, and then how to transfer those files to Chessbase and continue to improve them there.

The second would be specifically about Chessbase questions, tips, and tricks.

5 Likes