Conceptual Rook Endings return

After a summer with disruption, camps, tournaments, and sunshine, Conceptual Rook Endings will return to the same slot as previously every Sunday at 6 pm London time. We are more than halfway through the course. You can still watch the previous 27 episodes on the website, or start in the middle by following the class live from tomorrow evening.

Meanwhile, tomorrow Jacob will have a practice session on Calculation. If you want to refresh what you know, click here for Fundamentals of Calculation, Basics of Calculation, and Advanced Calculation.

In other news, GM Ivan Sokolov returns to the academy with a 12-hour camp between 22-25 September. More news to follow in the coming days! In the meantime, if you want to take a look at Ivan’s previous camp, you can find the basic recordings here.

Most of you will know Jacob recently published A Matter of Endgame Technique. Although the book is out and already in its 2nd print, he is still interested in the topic and will be doing occasional lessons with the same name for the academy with new material. He was quite happy with his class on Saturday, going over one of the most important games of the Olympiad. You can watch it in Recent Recordings if you are interested.

Meanwhile, Sam Shankland started with six draws in the Sinquefield Rapid and Blitz after three promising positions. The tournament continues tonight!

Your friends at Killer Chess Training,
Sam, Jacob, and Kallia

3 Likes

“He was quite happy with his class on Saturday…”. The master of the understatement!

I draw a parallel for both the Saturday and Sunday classes with “The Van Gogh Immersive Experience” that I saw in my home city (Bristol, UK) last week. This art show started simply in a room with a few static pictures and explanations of his most famous paintings. Once these simple things had been embedded in your mind, you walked into a huge room where a half hour film involving Van Gogh’s paintings was projected onto the 4 walls. This showed the paintings in all their detail and complexity, but often by building them up piece by piece using the ideas and explanations already encountered and explained in the first room. This technique meant I walked away from the show feeling I knew much more about his paintings and also that I will recall much more about them - as well as awarding the show a 5 star review! Ditto the 2 classes!

3 Likes

Awww
That is so nice of you!

2 Likes

As you know, this is what I tried to achieve with the endgame book. I fear that I will have to make the third print an “extended version”, just to mess with people’s minds :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I was organising the material on the next topic in Conceptual Rook Endings and found that the next topic will take 4 classes to go through and that these may be some of my favourite examples from the whole course. I am looking forward to sharing them with you. Again, we will start with simple stuff, then we will go absolutely bonkers over the next four sessions, until the madness is endemic.

2 Likes