CPU or laptop for chessbase and leela

Hello, I’m sure there is a post on this topic, but I’m considering to purchase a laptop for chessbase and leela. What specs would be recommended?

Thanks

Worth looking at the earlier thread:
Need Ideas about purchasing a new pc - Discuss - Killer Chess Training
kind regards
Mike

The important thing to remember is that when you are talking about LC0 you need Graphics Card Processor Power (GPU)-Cuda Cores i.e. Nvidia RTX graphics card, A RTX3060 being the minimum. In constrast If using Stockfish NNUE, it is to do with the power of your Computer Processor (CPU) and the number of cores it has. more is good.

Most Laptops with RTX cards are sold in gaming laptops (you usually get a reasonable processor also). You probably need about 16GB of Ram (but you might just get away with having 8GB) and a newish intel i5 or i7 or Ryzen CPU. You can find benchmarks and reviews to compare them online (also the graphics cards).

Chessbase is more about your RAM and speed/size of the hard drive when searching (also CPU speed). An SSD drive is quicker than a standard hard drive for database access. The Gaming laptop will give you more options re the look of the chess board in 3d settings/lighting etc. You are probably going to spend more for a Gaming Laptop for LC0 than a multi core standard laptop and using Stockfish NNUE. Of course if you get a Gaming Laptop you can have both options, but not necessarily the quickest Stockfish NNUE, (depending on the processor). Newer intel CPU’s are catching up on Ryzen CPU’s so best to do some research first when deciding which way to go, unless you want to spend a few thousand Euros/Dollars/Pounds etc. on a Gaming Laptop and not have to worry, as you will get something good.

You can get a reasonable gaming Laptop (ACER/ASUS) for 1000-1500. but research the spec’s as there is so much variety in CPU’s and GPU’s offered, with alot of older graphics cards and processors for sale.

If you see anything you think might be suitable post a link or description.

Also check out the John Hartmann videos and discussion

Computer questions for John Hartmann- ask here - Discuss - Killer Chess Training

John’s corner - Killer Chess Training