In-person Chess Camp in Bangkok

Dear members,

With the help of local organisers, an in-person camp in Bangkok will take place on the 29th of January.
For more information, contact Bowtie directly at [email protected]!

1 Like

Ok this is exciting. I actually live near Bangkok so will do everything I can to be there (just been negotiating a day off work as typically Sunday is my busiest work day). I did mention killerchesstraining as the best thing ever to one of the Thai players during the Bangkok Open and heard a few names I recognised during some of the classes lately, so hopefully it’s not just a coincidence and some of them actually joined. Maybe I can also put the word out about this camp on facebook so that the stronger Thai players know about it if they don’t already. It will be great to meet you in person in any case :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Yes, if you want to add it on Facebook, feel free to do so! (Thank you)
And we are really looking forward to meeting you as well!

1 Like

Ok, I just sent the image to the 3 chess clubs in Bangkok that I know about and the player that I know so hopefully they will do something with it.

1 Like

My father sent email to request more info, no reply after one week. How do we get more info, we are interested.

Maybe I can help with this. I had the same experience, no reply to my email, but they do answer the phone and speak some English. I figured out the price (3,500 Thai baht for 7 hours with extra breaks so 9 till 5 or maybe it was 5.30) which is very reasonable indeed. www.xe.com is good if you need to change the currency to your own. Also the location is Asia hotel, but… I’m not yet sure which one.

I had a Thai friend call them today and she wrote down the location, but in Thai. So I need to figure that one out tomorrow. I was also a bit unsure of how to pay, it may be some sort of bank transfer as that is how they like to do things over here. Anyway I will get it figured out and let you know. I did find their Facebook page, but of course, it’s mostly in Thai…

Also there is a QR code there to add them on the Line app which is what everyone uses in Asia. Anyway, things are often not easy for us foreigners to suss out in Thailand (I assume they are advertising internally through their own chess school) but I have Thai friends that can help me so I will let you know when I find out more :slight_smile:

1 Like

Ok, I have a small update. They sent me the exact location, hopefully it will display properly here…

Also, they sent me a QR code for the payment through the Line app so I was right about the bank transfer. I’d asked about the possibility of a debit/credit card payment but that didn’t seem to be an option. As an old fossil I’m actually not too sure about how these things work and am thinking that this method may not be at all convenient for people without a Thai bank account, so I will ask if it is possible to register and pay by cash on the day just in case and get back to you. Hope this helps a little.

2 Likes

Dear James,
Thank you for answering these questions! We have made our way to Phuket at the moment, so it wasn’t easy to keep up with the forum.

I think Line is something like Mobile Pay in Denmark. Unless you have all the things needed and you are a resident there, you cannot figure out an alternative!

1 Like

Hi Kallia,

No problem at all. Oh wow - in Phuket already (important to pronounce that one correctly :slight_smile: ), a well earned break I’m sure and a very nice place to relax.

The best way I can describe Line is that it is basically Whats App for Asia, China’s WeChat is also very similar. It’s how everybody communicates over here, though fb is also very popular. I actually use Line to chat with my Mum in the UK so it can be used anywhere and is free. But yes there probably is some other payment app similar to Denmark’s Mobile Pay also. I think people here just log in to their online banking app on their phone, punch in the amount and scan the QR code to make payments. That probably works great if you have a Thai bank account, but I’m not sure how to do it otherwise. I will be able to figure that out one way or another, but I’m not sure if others will be able to if they are coming from another country.

1 Like

Ok so I just found out that you can pay by cash on the day if this QR code payment is a problem. They said they would send me a registration form tonight so if anyone needs me to forward that to them once I have it, just let me know.

Thanks.

1 Like

I think it’s the first holiday since 2020. Everything is a blur, which is not a good sign.

I am glad you sorted it out! Looking forward to meeting you in person!

1 Like

I managed to pay them via bank transfer rather than PromptPay so yes it’s all sorted for me now. I tried to post the link to the registration form in case anyone else needed it (has all the bank details at the bottom - looks like paying on the day costs an extra 1,000 baht according to that), but it was logging in with my google account when clicking on the link for some reason. Anyway they sent this link to me in the form of a QR code to be scanned with Line so…

Hopefully that will work if you can use Line and the venue address is on there also.

1 Like

What a fantastic day this turned out to be, a very fun experience for all of us! Jacob certainly put us through our paces with some great content, as I knew he would, and backed this up with some highly instructive explanation. It was particularly helpful for me to listen to all the discussion about effective methods of improvement and how the decision making process should work in practice. It was great to have strong players like Kavin and Prin there also to push me a little bit, and of course they were amusingly good at helping me to locate all of my worst placed pieces :).

Thank you so much to everyone involved for making this happen, it was a rare opportunity for me to experience something like this in person!

2 Likes