Please Donate For EarthQuakes Even In Small Amounts

Dear Chess Friends ,
The southeastern region of Turkey unfortunately has been hit by two tremendous earthquakes and numerous aftershocks that affected approximately 13 million people, wiping out 10 cities near Syrian border. 7.8 mangitude earthquake released energy as 32 nuclear bombs dropped on Hiroshima.
Unfortunately we have >20.000 confirmed deaths and >100.000 wounded people.
Destruction zone : 464km (288 miles) . Consider seeing all buildings destroyed from Paris to Amsterdam , or New York to Washington.

The Republic of Turkey declared a fourth level alert state.

10 thousand buildings are reported to have been destroyed with hundreds of thousands still under rubble. This is on par with a war.

Under these conditions, people in the region need immediate help and financial aid.

So, please consider donating EVEN IN SMALL AMOUNTS. You can donate to some highly credible and effective NGOs and Government Body currently operating in the region. The information and payment details of two of these NGOs/Instutions are;

1- AHBAP is a Turkish NGO aiming to provide all kinds of aid to people in need, in kind and in cash. AHBAP has been very active to help people affected by the natural disasters in Turkey.
If you consider making donations to AHBAP, you can access to the payment details by the following link:
https://ahbap.org/disasters-turkey

1. AFAD -Disaster and Emergency Management Authority:
    an institution working to prevent disasters and minimize disaster-related damages, plan and coordinate post-disaster response, and promote cooperation among various government agencies.
    https://en.afad.gov.tr/earthquake-humanitarian-aid-campaign

3.AKUT is entirely a voluntary, non-governmental organization involved in searching, assisting and rescuing all who require aid within its authority and means, in mountain or other nature-related accidents, natural disasters and all other emergency conditions by means of trained, disciplined, high-standard personnel and equipment, passing on knowledge to society with no political affiliation…
Via the following link, you can make your donations

1 Like

My friends from Greece went to help and excavate people under the ruins. I hope they will help and save everyone missing.
My father is a truck driver and has been going around Crete to help gather supplies and clothes to be sent.
Instabul '99 should have been the last time Turkey had so many victims from an earthquake.
It’s devastating to see the indifference from the state.
This image broke me to tears. The 16-year-old girl is gone before her life started.

Since magnitude is a logarithmic scale, showing it on a linear scale is rather misleading.

The 7.8 and 7.5 quakes were ~10x as intense in amplitude as the next highest and a ~30x as intense as all the 4.

(If we’re talking size in energy released, the difference between 7.5 and 6.5 is 32x — meaning the 7.8 and 7.5 quakes were more energetic than all the others combined.)

1 Like